Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tabbouleh


Servings: 6
From: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes


Ingredients:

1/2 cup finely cut bulgur
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 fresh tomato, cored, seeded and chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp canola or corn oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper


Directions:

Soak the bulgur in 1 cup boiled water for 1/2 hour. Drain well.

Place the bulgur in a large bowl and add the parsley, onion and tomato; mix well.

Combine the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Add to salad; toss lightly to coat the ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.

Nutrional: 122 Calories, 7 gram fat, 13 gram carb, 2 gram protein

My little piece: Ahh, the pungent, earthy and fresh taste of this salad is enough to get anyone excited. This is my lunch today - I prepared it last night as I was cooking dinner. I used fresh Italian parsley out of my herb bed (my birthday gift this year from my husband). Todays variance from the recipe was to try lime juice instead of lemon and I often switch out the type of onion used - today it is red onion. I am also using grapeseed oil today for something different.

No comments: